As you begin to uncover, excavate, and release physical, emotional, and spiritual debris from your inner and outer being many people often experience what is called a healing crisis. This is time during the healing process when toxins, that have been hidden or buried in your mind, body, and spirit, begin to come to the surface. When this happens you may feel like your life has been hit by utter chaos or confusion. Don’t panic, you may be in the midst of a healing crisis. In a healing crisis, you come face-to-face with your inner demons, expose them, and bring them out of the darkness and into the light. This can feel like an emotional roller coaster, a heavy weight, a physical illness or weakness, negative thoughts and emotions, or utter craziness.
Our inner being and physical bodies can resemble the rooms, closets, and storage space in our home. Because of busyness or other responsibilities we may not give much attention to the conditions of our physical space. When we tidy we’ll put items in drawers or closets without much thought to it. We’ll throw mail and paperwork in baskets or on top of the shelf. We’ll store unused items in the corner or pile them in the garage. Throughout most of the year, in order to keep our home tidy and to create an assemblage of order, we find places to put our stuff until we have time to carefully go through and arrange each item. We may throw a few things away here and there, but sometimes that takes more time and energy than we have. It’s sometimes easier to sweep it under the bed.
Then the day comes that you decide to do a spring-cleaning. It’s time to go through the closets, drawers, boxes, corners, and shelves to alleviate your home of unnecessary objects and clutter. This is a big job and you know it. It could take days, even weeks. As you pull items from here and there, your home begins to resemble one of the homes on “Hoarders.” There is stuff everywhere as you decide what to keep, store, and get rid of.
Within minutes, neatness has turned to disarray as you remove items from there temporary places to do a deep and internal cleaning of your home. For months, maybe even years on the surface, your home appeared tidy and organized, but in reality you had a lot of hidden junk, most of it you didn’t need, wedged into those hidden and unseen places, and now you’re ready to eliminate them. At this very moment your home in this state of crisis and it can be quite overwhelming. You may even wish you had left it all alone, but as you deal with each object, one by one, and as your home becomes clean and organized, you begin to feel free and empowered, as though each item discarded or consciously stored removes an unconscious burden or heaviness.
In the same light, when you begin to clean out or heal your inner and physical being, your mind, body, and spirit are also thrown into a state of uncomfortably, disarray, and confusion. Often during these times, pain in the form of old hurts, fears, memories, buried emotions, and in the case of physical cleansing, toxins (pesticides, chemicals, waste) are released from your bodily tissue and rush into the physical or emotional blood stream.
Although you may be tempted to stop the process and return to your old habits, you need to know that a healing crisis is necessary part of inner and outer restoration. And although it can be quite overwhelming, and even fearful, it is the path to true freedom, spiritual health, and physical healing.
Here are a few tips to help you when in the midst of a healing crisis?
1. Don’t be alarmed. Whenever we begin to clear out our physical or emotional junk, we begin to release toxins that may affect our mental and physical condition. Understanding what is happening can eliminate any fear and keep you progressing toward your goals.
2. If you are experiencing an avalanche of emotional pain or past hurt, use meditation or deep breathing to dissolve any strong toxic feelings. Begin by breathing into the area you feel the tension most or imagine yourself breathing these pains and hurt right out of your body.
3. Take frequent walks while repeating a mantra or sacred word that will take your attention away from any negative thoughts or emotions. A great mantra is the name “Jesus.” God said I will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on me.”
4. Know that this will pass just as quickly as it came. You may have several days of feeling in a major funk, and then wake up feeling lighter and freer as these emotional toxins are being released.
5. Meditate on or read the word of God for encouragement and inspiration. Play spiritual music, sing, and dance before the Lord.
6. Journal your thoughts on paper. Journaling helps to get your thoughts out of your head and allows you to process what’s going on. Turn your writing into a prayer to the Lord and thank Him for his faithfulness and covering you with his blood.
7. Physical toxins are generally released through a fast; therefore, drink plenty of water or diluted fruit juices. The fruit juice will help to dilute the effect of the toxins that are entering the blood stream.
8. If you’re feeling physical symptoms, rest, relax, watch an inspirational movie or do some light exercising like Christian yoga or stretching.
The other side of a healing crisis can be physical health and emotional freedom. Understanding that anytime you begin to work on your inner being or physical health you potentially enter a transitional period where your body or spirit is throwing off the old in an effort to experience physical and emotional well-being. Knowing the signs of a healing crisis can reduce fear and keep you from giving up prematurely and losing all the progress you have made.